Put it to Work!
Today we’re going to give you some great ways on how to use the word of mouth in building and executing your campaign.
We have here a list form that you can go through and highlight the ones you want to put into action. These are can be found in the amazing book of George Silverman The Secrets of Word of Mouth Marketing.
- Shamelessly cater your first customers
- The customer is always right
- Make sure you give them something worth talking about
- Surprise the customers by going beyond their expectation
- Offer them incentives to encourage word of mouth
- Ask them to tell their friends
- Make them come back by giving them a reason to buy so that the will refuse service from anyone else other than you
- Always tell the truth
- Make eye contact, and smile, even over the telephone
- Don’t get annoyed when a customer asks you to change a large bill even if he doesn’t buy anything.
- Find ways to be a little better at making your business. Here are some examples:
- 1. Warmer greeting
- 2. Better shopping bag
- 3. Lower prices
- 4. Cleaner floor
- 5. Faster service
6. Nicer lighting
7. Extra matches
8. Free delivery
9. More selections
- Never embarrass a customer, especially by making him feel ignorant.
- Never ever take a customer for granted. If you do, she will never come back, and will go straight to your competition. They are your reason for being.
- Dust off items always, but never let the customer see you doing it.
- Never shout across the store about the personal items a customer is buying. Example is “How much are these condoms?” or anything.
- When you don’t know, admit it and do whatever you can to find out the answer..
- Try to remember your customer’s names. This will make them feel special.
- Don’t ever let two sales staff talk when there’s a customer waiting. The worst thing you can do is count your cash while there is a customer waiting.
- Don’t allow known shoplifters into your store.
- Never pressure anyone into buying anything.
- Personally visit or assign people to visit the store of your competitors and report back to you.
- Customer will feel grateful if you can suggest something better. Always respect their choice.
- Never give bad advice. Instead, help them come to the right decision.
- Never answer a question to show them how smart you are. Instead, answer with a desire to help the customer will be the best decision
- Hire a shopping service to give you periodic reports on how your people are treating your customers.
- If you have convinced one expert that you are better (in the drugstore’s case, a nurse or physician), expect that it will bring hundreds of customers and their friends through word of mouth.
- Always find ways to make a stranger a customer.
- Buy a store where the management is known in insulting their customers then put up the sign “Under New Management” outside. Then sell it later based on the increased sales.
- If someone gets mad at you, expect that they will tell everyone who will listen for as long as they are angry or maybe even longer. So correct any dissatisfaction and ask them to send their friends.
- People will walk several blocks to save a dollar, or see a smile, or be treated right.
- Always run a sale promotion or an offbeat event to make your customer come back and see what you are cooking up next.
- Use the best sign-maker you can find and pay him more than anybody else.
- Treat your people the same way you treat your customers.
- Have a zero error system though there may be terrible consequences. One example is if a mistake is made filling a prescription. Have your people check each other’s work for safety.
- Occasionally make intentional mistakes to see if your people are checking.
- Always measure your performance.
- If customers say they are moving away, try to offer to send them their favorite items by mail.
- Always ask your customer to “come back soon.”
- Tell your customers some jokes.
It may be a lot of information to digest so we’re going to wrap up this lesson. I’ll leave you with the homework of going through. Also, take a look at the tips and tricks you like best but look for tips that fit your company, target customers, products and services and for the most effectiveness.
If you need help with this process, try our FREE test drive and get all the help you need from our experienced business coaches.